Some outstanding or recent projects
Sustainable Development in Rural Areas of Uzbekistan (dairy component)
For GIZ/ADECIA. Funded by EU.
Transfer of European Union know-how and technologies in the agro-food value-chains in partnership with local authorities and economic players for further developing socio-economic potentials in rural areas of Uzbekistan. The present component targeted the dairy sector and mostly smallholders.
- Income Generation: Further developed commodity value-chains mainly related to the agro-food sector (livestock breeding, gardening vegetable growing and services sector): technical and business models and marketing strategy
- Capacity development: Further developed and upgraded skills and techniques of economic players, including youth; implementation of modern technologies and training on their application; improvement of agro-product processing methods: Training of farmers, development of pilot integration facilities (milk collection)
- Institutional strengthening: Further strengthened and upgraded development planning capacities of regional and local authorities: strategic support, training of trainers, infrastructure development planning...
BCTI mobilized a team of 7 experts: livestock strategic planning, monitoring and information systems, fodder and feeding, cooperative development, animal husbandry, milk quality, processing and transformation, civil engineering.
Feasibility study for Inclusive and Climate lnvestment by leveraging Finance in the Livestock sector in the Republic of Uzbekistan
For Agence Française de Développement (AFD). Funded by AFD.
The project aims at promoting the sustainable and climate compliant development of the Uzbek livestock sector by supporting selected investments through credit, additional financial products and Technical Assistance to stakeholders and final beneficiaries. The instruments are a credit line to the Republic of Uzbekistan (represented by Ministry of Finance, MoF) on-lent mostly to 5 eligible participating financial institutions (PFI) proposed by the authorities for provision of Climate smart investment and additional support targeted to improve the access to investments and credit for smallholders with the support of national guarantees as collateral and interest subsidies from the National Fund for Entrepreneurship Support (NFES).
The Technical assistance will support end-beneficiaries to apply for eligible investment projects and support the eligible financial institutions in order to align them to the best international standard regarding climate and social responsibility in the selection and the monitoring of clients investment proposal, as well as insuring the diffusion of smart-climate technologies and sustainable practices in the livestock sector.
A three-tier approach combining credit, guarantee and subsidy will be used with increasing support to access to credit facilities for smallholders in a pro-active approach including technical assistance to develop the capacity of local service providers to raise awareness among smallholders on the availability of knowledge sharing support for technical issues and assist them in access to finance through grants and credit. A matrix of eligibility criteria for investors’ investment items and financial conditions will be established. This combination of actions will aim at increasing outreach, additionality and sustainability of the lending and credit/guarantee schemes.
The project will be set up in six priority regions and extend to 13 after completion of 50% of the financial objective. All livestock subsectors from production, production of fodder and feed up to processing and sub-product transformation are considered.
BCTI mobilized a team of 6 experts: value chain economics, livestock, banking and finance, gender, social and environmental analysis, development engineering.
Livestock Support Development Project (LSDP)
For Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation. Funded by BLAFE and EU.
To contribute to economic and social development in rural areas, the chosen lever is increasing the income of dairy cattle herd of small and average-sized mixed-farming livestock farms, by implementing efficient livestock practices and installing a sector with access to the dairy product market. The project design takes into account all the economic, social and environmental aspects from the point of view of the sustainable development of rural areas.
The project is based on the installation of five Progress Centers for the development of milk and meat cattle production in pilot areas: Beni Sueff, Fayoum, Beheira and Sharkeya. The progress centers created offer producers support services for the collection and commercialization of milk, the production and supply of animal feed, access to animal insemination and animal health services, training and technical-economic advice by local advisors trained by IDELE.
The concept of a pilot village educational farm based on a PPP was also developed. The idea is to grant all the actors of the know-how transfer (administration, private consultants, etc.) access to a training infrastructures, corresponding in terms of size and degree of sophistication (and therefore simplicity) to the types of farms observed in the region. In practice, a representative dairy farmer accepts that his farm be the seat of practical training, of demonstrations or open houses, agrees to improve its installation on the basis of the recommendations of IDELE experts, in exchange for which it is granted aid for the acquisition of small equipment and some civil engineering. It contributes to the rehabilitation work on its own resources, undertakes to maintain the operation and ensure access to third parties trainers.
BCTI mobilized a team of 14 experts (long and short term) in various specialities during the course of the project.
National study of the bovine meat industry
For Georgian Ministry of Agriculture. Funded by French Treasury.
- Realization of an inventory of beef production in Georgia, analyzing the regulatory context, detailing health issues and national programs against major diseases
- Carry out of a market study, evaluation and targeting of territories for the implementation of pilot farms, conception of different production models adapted and proposition of mode of implementation in two of these sites
- Proposition of development and technical assistance axes for Georgia to reinforce the production of beef at the destination of the local market.
The study has mobilized a team of 7 French experts : 1 expert specialist in beef cattle production, 1 expert in economy, 1 expert beef cattle producer, 1 veterinary expert , 1 expert in the environmental integration of the beef cattle sector, 1 expert in genetics, 1 expert backstopper.
Project preparation study for a national action plan to strengthen the cold chain and develop milk quality payment in the dairy sector of Tunisia
For Office for Livestock and Pastures (OEP), Ministry of Agriculture of Tunisia. Funded by French Ministry of Economy.
To prepare the national program of reinforcement of the cold chain (development of cold infrastrucutures/equipment on farms and on the collection/transportation network), coupled with the establishment of a payment of milk quality to producers, this feasibility study ordered by the Office of Livestock and Pasture of Tunisia was based en 3 phases for 5 major outputs.
Phase 1 : audit of 35 farms, 26 collection centers (10 cooperatives and 16 private), 16 transformation units (8 milk processing centers, 6 private cheese factories, 2 cooperative cheese factories) and 2 laboratories for milk quality analysis in 13 governorates:
- Overview and analysis of the situation in the different links of the dairy sector
- Diagnosis and general inventory of equipment needs and capacity reinforcement
- Technical and organizational recommendations
Phase 2 : restitution and debates on the lessons and recommandations from mission 1 with the public, private and professional actors of the various links of the dairy industry.
- National and regional seminars with more than 300 actors of the dairy sector
Phase 3 : official restitution with OEP, the Ministry of Agriculture of Tunisia and national representatives of the various links in the dairy sector :
- Formulation of a national project including proposals and final recommandations : production, pre-collection and collection, cooling, transportation, support services, interprofessional organisation, quality payment criteria, laboratories for analyses, data processing and information system, follow-up measures.
BCTI mobilized a team of 6 international experts: dairy industries development and organization from production to processing; refrigeration and cold chain in the dairy industry; zootechnical information systems for milk quality; veterinary; environmental integration of the dairy sector; cold chain equipment.
Dairy sector master plan study
For Kazakhstan Ministry of Agriculture. Funded by French Ministry of Economy.
Action-study for new orientations of the dairy sector master plan and the development of innovative breeding solutions (for Kazakhstan). This study covered: approach to the implementation of national instruments (identification, traceability, veterinary services, genetic improvement ...), selection of livestock systems, reinforcement of strategic and technical support capacities, construction of a technical reference system (comparative racial performances) and R&D orientations.
This action was hinged upon:
- A study of the sector in an illustrative pilot zone (production, resources, organization, supervision and support) which provides a diagnosis of the organization currently in place and performances in production, constraints and opportunities
- The production of a set of recommendations affecting mainly the business models, production techniques, equipment and economic principles underlying the adequacy between races and territories; the organization and mobilization of management resources and support services (advice, veterinary, etc.) and the implementation of an information system (identification, healthcare, traceability, performance control, etc.); the needs for training and upgrading of the human resources that derive from it
- The formulation of pilot projects, being designed to Illustrate / implement the given recommendations and be used as a basis for establishing future partnerships.
BCTI mobilized a team of 5 international experts : institutional development, zootechnics and system approach/sector approach (team leader), zootechnics - reproduction / genetics, veterinary, fodder and feed, information systems. Furthermore, a senior development expert ensured the backstopping of the team.
Business development of the dairy sector
For Kenya Dairy Board (KDB). Funded by AFD.
Study, revision and needs recommendations of milk activity units/dairy cooperatives in Kenya and evaluation of tools for milk and dairy products quality throughout the supplier chain. Evaluation of available financial products and opportunities of investment in the dairy sector:
- Identify a technical expertise for the evaluation and the analysis of tools, devices and systems for the control of milk and dairy products quality throughout the value chain and the supplier chain;
- Analyse and adjustment of the economic model of the dairy activities units/dairy cooperatives. The study will include the evaluation of available financial products and the opportunities of investment in the dairy sector;
- Examine the investment needs for cooperatives in order to ensure the supply of high-quality milk to the industry. A precise characterisation of these investments is expected (criteria of technical eligibility);
- Examine the willingness of kenyan banks to finance the needs of investment and the e-dairy system of the activity units/dairy cooperatives targetted.
BCTI mobilized: dairy specialists, banking and financial analysts, marketing specialists, information systems and senior backstopper.